Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Anniversary Getaway!



Benny and I celebrated our 5 year wedding anniversary this October 8th. He surprised me with his Mom flying down to AZ from Minnesota to care for Annie so that we could have a mini-vacation. We stayed at a quaint resort in Scottsdale and enjoyed going out to eat at restaurants that didn't even have kids menus, relaxing poolside without lifeguarding, and even sleeping in a little bit. Though we were having too much fun to take too many photos, Benny did snap one of me resting on a bench during a long walk (at 8 months pregnant) and I took one of him writing at the pool/lounge area where we spent a good amount of time. He was writing the first entry to go in our family journal that he gave me for our anniversary. We love to blog-- but also want a hard copy, hand written type of memoir to look back on as the years continue to fly past us. This is really the sweetest gift he could have given me. It means so much that he values the simple things and memories of our family and wants to capture them in such a unique way. It's funny, back when we first got married he asked if I wanted more diamonds added to the gorgeous solitaire that he proposed to me with. I adored the stunning simplicity of the ring and couldn't have picked a better one, but when a girl is offered more diamonds she has a hard time turning the offer down... so I told him that I thought that adding two diamonds on either side of the solitaire would be a lovely 5 year anniversary gift. As this "big" anniversary approached Ben and I both recalled that plan and Ben even did a little window shopping on the internet. But, oddly enough, I no longer wanted more diamonds. Ben has given me two gems already- sweet Annie Isabel and her soon-to-be baby brother Ezra. He has been faithful, supportive, generous, so loving, and super fun -- really a fabulous husband and a man that I am proud of. Two little diamonds got nothing on what I already have. Thank you Benny for the amazing anniversary. I love you. Thank you Mama Susie for the huge gift of being here and caring for Annie-- it was great to spend time with you. And thank you little Anniekins for being more brave than I was for our first full night apart. As I hugged and kissed Annie for the third time before we headed out the door she patted my back and said, "Now go to your wedding with Daddy, Mommy." I'm pretty sure she enjoyed the mini-vacation as much as we did!!

No comments: